Thursday, August 6, 2009

Love on Craigslist?

Patti says,
“Online: There’s no shame anymore in meeting people on internet dating sites. It expands your options worldwide and allows you to meet people you’d never come in contact with otherwise.”

This entry is a cautionary tale. Let’s face it- I’m starting to feel the frustration of being single. It seems that everywhere I go couple are laughing, holding hands, and sharing priceless intimate moments. I on the other hand have resorted to looking for love on Craigslist. I found a seemingly good catch online while sitting at home last weekend. (Note to reader- it’s never a good indicator if on a Saturday night you are online looking for love.)
His ad promised a few things:
1. 5’11” , 160 lb
2. Cute, in fact, some people say hot
3. Fun, educated, etc.
I responded to his ad (Patti would not approve to a woman responding to a man’s ad). We shared a couple of emails, graduated to IM, and then spoke on the phone. All information pointed to him being a person I would want to meet. We decided to meet on a Wednesday night for dinner. He offered to pick me up. In less than good judgment gave him my address. I made sure to be “safe”. I sent his contact information to a co-worker, called the restaurant to confirm he made a reservation, googled him and finally carried a scissors in my purse.

When I saw him at my front door I realized I was over my head. I don’t think he was 5’11”, he looked different than his photo, and he didn’t look as trendy or professional as I had imagined. I promised my friend I would send her his license plate number (safety first). He noted that most people ask what his personalized license plate means. I made the mistake of asking what the plates mean. In a very serious tone he explained it was his HAMM radio call sign. There are local HAMM radio clubs, etc. Interesting- for some.

We went to a restaurant I had never been to. It was a good place for a first date both quaint and quiet. The conversation went well, but there was no connection. He picked up the tab and was a gentleman. He dropped me off and said we’d talk soon.

I should say that I do know it’s hard to put yourself out there. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him to post an ad, meet a cute stranger, etc. I just want to find my Prince Charming. These men I have been dating are not frogs, they just aren’t my match. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment